• 10 cups ripe tomatoes (blanched, skinned, cored and chopped into 1 inch cubes)
• 3 cups green peppers (chopped into small pieces)
• 3 cups onion (chopped into small pieces)
• 6 jalapeno or hot peppers cut into small pieces – use ½ or ¾ of the seeds depending on the level of “hotness” you want, I used ¼ of the seeds for this batch.
• 1 cup garlic scapes and 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 1 bunch chopped cilantro (I use a lot because I love it)
• ½ cup white vinegar (5% acidity)
• 4 teaspoons salt
• 1 cup of sugar, or less depending on the sweetness you want
1. Blanche tomatoes and cut into 1” pieces or smaller. Let sit to drain in a colander for an hour and dispose of tomato juice.
2. Cut onions and peppers into small pieces.
3. Add all ingredients, except sugar, into a large pan and bring to a boil. Boil and reduce until half the original amount (about 1 hour). Stir frequently.
4. Before filling jars, make sure the lids and jars are sterilized. Run them through your dishwasher or sterilize them in hot water.
5. Add sugar and stir.
6. Pour hot salsa immediately into the jars leaving ½” space on top.